Boston. Los Angeles. They meet again.
And not just Boston and LA, but the Patriots and Rams as well.
When the Dodgers and Red Sox squared off in the World Series, I realized there was a strong chance these cities would see each other again in the Super Bowl. After both teams struggled the second half of the season, I didn’t think this would happen. However, both teams won their conference championship games on the road as the Patriots and Rams will meet 17 years later in a rematch of Super Bowl XXXVI.
What an incredible Championship Sunday it was with both road teams winning in OT. I picked and was cheering for both home teams, so I was upset with the results, but both were amazing NFL games nonetheless.
Time for the best Sunday of the year.
One of the greatest betting parts of the Super Bowl is the amount of Prop bets there are to choose from. I’ll start off with my picks for some of my favorite ones.
My Pick: Heads
- This is obviously the most 50/50 bet in the entire world. Tails leads all time Super Bowl coin tosses 27-25, so over 52 year stretch, it’s been pretty 50/50. So if you stick with 1 choice forever, you’re likely to be close to even. I always choose heads, so that’s what I’m choosing here.
How Long Will The National Anthem Last?
Over 108.5 seconds (-140)
Under 108.5 seconds (EVEN)
My Pick: Over
- Two key stats to consider here
- Each of the last 6 national anthems have been over 105 seconds
- 9 of the last 12 national anthems have went under the time total
- I think the first stat is more relevant here, so I’m taking the over
Which Team Will Score First?
My Pick: Rams
- Before last year, the Patriots have never scored in the first quarter of a Tom Brady Super Bowl (and the Eagles scored first last year). I could see this being much like the start Falcons-Patriots Super Bowl (not the 28-3 part) where everyone thinks the Pats will win, but the Rams go down and score an early TD to make a statement. My Bonus Pick for first TD is Robert Woods (odds for this pick greatly vary).
How Many Plays Will Tony Romo Correctly Predict Before the Snap?
Over 7.5 (-110)
Under 7.5 (-110)
My Pick: Over 7.5
- It’s a shame that Tony never made the Super Bowl as a player, but at least his first appearance comes while he’s currently sitting on the coolest throne of all time. I can’t wait to listen to Tony this Sunday, and you know I’m taking my man to correctly predict 8 plays or more.
How Many Times Will CBS Mention Sean McVay’s Age?
Over 1.5 (-190)
Under 1.5 (+145)
My Pick: Over 1.5
- At 33 years old, Sean McVay is 7 years younger than Patriots QB Tom Brady. It is incredible what he has accomplished at such a young age. It’s a lock that his age will be mentioned once, and if the Rams are close to wrapping up a win, I think it will definitely be mentioned again.
What Will Be The Color of the Drink Poured on the Winning Coach?
My Pick: Green/yellow
- Factoring in my game pick which you can find below, my pick is that it will be the closest color to gold.
There are many more prop bets, so be sure to check out all your book has to offer. But most importantly, time for the big game.
Super Bowl LIII- Atlanta, GA
Patriots vs. Rams (+2.5)
Rams 31, Patriots 27
- In their 3rd season since returning to Los Angeles, the Rams beat the Cowboys at home and Saints on the road to return to the Super Bowl for the first time in 17 years
- The road wasn’t as easy as it usually is, but the Patriots beat the Chargers at home and Chiefs on the road to go to their 3rd consecutive Super Bowl, and 9th in the last 18 seasons
- The Patriots and their fans are trying to play some card like they are underdogs/disrespected- not only are they morons for thinking this, but Vegas has them as favorites over a team who won 2 more games than them during the regular season
- That being said- you must think long and hard before betting against this Patriots team- don’t bet the Rams just cause you hate the Pats
- The stat that is point me the most in the direction of the Rams is the public’s thinking- 76% of the public is on the Pats as of Saturday
- If 76% of the public is on a team during the regular season, the best bettors almost always fade the public
- The underdog has won 6 of the last 7 Super Bowls. The only underdog that didn’t win? They led 28-3 at one point
- The Rams are extremely well balanced right now, as we have soon strong performances on both sides of the ball this postseason
- The biggest reason many people have doubted the Patriots is cause this roster is arguably the weakest of recent Patriots team. The Rams meanwhile, are the closest we may ever have to an NFL All-Star team- Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp (out for this game), Aaron Donald, Suh, Aqib Talib
- Having star names isn’t nearly as important in the NFL as it is in the NBA, but this is for sure a deep roster
- That being said, why are the Patriots favorites and why does the public love them? Cause they are the Patriots, with the most experienced QB/Coach combo of all time
- At the end of the day, I think this spread should be closer to Even. The Rams have been a better team this season, and they definitely have the better roster, plus the coaching staff the may not be as good as the Pats, but is still among the best in the league.
- The Rams will come out strong in this game and lead by a TD or more at halftime. The score won’t be 28-3, but I could see the Rams with the better roster coming out strong like the Falcons did. But the greatest QB/Coach combo in NFL history will not go down without a fight and will make this a very close game in the 4th quarter. The difference this time will be the strength of the Rams coaching staff, who will put the game away the way the Falcons could not 2 seasons ago. This will not be the end of Brady and Belichick, but maybe the start of Goff and McVay. The Rams will win an exciting, high scoring Super Bowl 31-27 over the Patriots
- These teams last met in 2016, with the Pats defeating the then-lowly Rams 26-10 (highlights)
- This is the 7th Super Bowl matchup which has been played more than once. The Patriots defeated the Rams 20-17 in Super Bowl XXXVI as 14 point underdogs, the first of 5 Super Bowl wins to this date for Tom Brady and Bill Belichick (highlights)
That’s all for 2018. Hopefully I’ll be back to my winning ways next season. Will the Rams win their 2nd Super Bowl, or will the Patriots tie the Steelers for their record 6th Super Bowl win?